Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Building another Barn Door.. and another.. and another

I absolutely loved building my Double Dutch Barn Doors for the laundry closet.  And I am thrilled to finally have lady genevieve's sliding barn door hanging for her bedroom.  I purchased all the materials to build 2 more doors, identical to lady genevieve's door- and then I found a new design as I was looking into more Barn Door track options!  Oh boy- the inspiration of the internet!  This door will be very similar in style and construction to the double dutch doors, except it will be one solid door instead of a dutch door.  It will also be sliding rather than hinged.  It will hang outside of the bathroom, and be one of the first things you see at the top of the stairs.  This was the Door Inspiration I found on google that redirected my door-building plans.

Here's it is:










I measured the door width and height.  Used 1x4 pine boards for the main door body, and 1x6 pine boards for the front frame.  I measured and cut pretty much all of the boards, carved the edges of each board (for a weathered appearance) and screwed it all together in an afternoon.  The 2 diagonal boards were a challenge I saved for the next day- but I got it done and it looks great.  I would probably do it differently next time.  Rather than having 2 cuts, and lining the board up the middle of the corners, I would just line one edge up with the corner and make one cut.  That is somewhat challenging to describe.  Compare my double dutch diagonal boards to this door, and you may be able to see what I mean.



























I used the natural method of weathering the wood by using oxidized vinegar and tea- check out the post to learn how.  This is the same staining method I used for lady genevieve's door.  So though the doors will have a different design, they will coordinate based upon the stain/ color.  I am waiting for the weather to get warmer to put a couple layers of Polyurethane on to finish the job.
I purchased all of my barn door hardware from amazon.com, and then spray painted them with Rustoleum Rubbed Oil Bronze.
Pack of 2 trolleys
1 steel box rail
2 box rail hangers

Possible master bedroom door design
I feel pretty fortunate to have the opportunity to build doors with character for our home.  Luckily all the upstairs doors were pretty dated and cheap, and mismatched- so I had a great reason to build doors that I love.  There are many different styles of plank doors.  The one above is a sliding door for the bathroom.  Lady genevieve's room has a "z" support.  I have hopes to make each room door slightly different and unique.

I think I have decided on this one for the master bedroom- a plank door with a 1x6 board at the head and foot of the door.  I am undecided about whether or not to do the "z" cross bar.


To the right and left are other possible designs.  I am undecided on the 3rd bedroom door, which is actually connected to the 2nd bedroom- you have to walk through 2nd to get to 3rd (goofy old farmhouse layout).  I like the idea of making all the doors slightly different and unique.  But I think that I may make the bedroom connecting door match lady genevieve's entry door.

Lady genevieve's entry door 
  I may build 2 closet doors too, but that is undecided at this point.  Maybe build the 2 cross bar for the interior of the 2 bedroom closet doors?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?  Which doors do you like the best for the master bedroom & 3rd bedroom?


Who knew that I would love building doors as much as I do!  It has seriously become one of my favorite projects. The bathroom facelift is coming soon!  Once we finish up a few other projects, we may kick off the bathroom upgrade with hanging this sliding barn door. More photos to come upon completion.  It's truly very exciting to see a transformation happening to Redwoodshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment