Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Process of Our Primitive Cabinet Restoration




 We found this late 1800's pine primitive cabinet on craigslist and purchased it for $160.  In need of a kitchen pantry and extra storage space- this piece fit our open wall perfectly.









 We started the restoration by removing the crackling paint with a heat gun.  This enabled us to avoid having to sand off all the paint and send dust flying everywhere.










Cabinet with most of the paint removed.

Then we sanded the exterior/ interior surfaces to smooth the surface and prepare for paint.  This sanded state looked amazing- I loved how the bare wood looked on the outside, and how the distressed/ sanded areas peered through the interior paint.  

















Then the Laird used liquid nails to repair a few pieces of wood bead board that were splintered and coming off.



The Laird worked hard to rebuild the top of the cabinet.  When we bought the cabinet, it was made of 2 pieces, that were un-level.  It looked like it probably had a step back upper cabinet sitting on top of it at some time.  He cut the front piece and purchase some stair treads with a bull nose edge for the sides.  The top is now 4 pieces of wood, and completely level.  He also build a shelf for the inside of the cabinet.













I used white and gray chalk paint to paint the exterior and interior cabinet.  I was very excited about the chalk paint.  I pained a base coat of gray and then white washed it.   Then I sealed the paint with cream wax, followed by dark wax in hopes of an antique look.  When all was said and done, I hated the way it looked.  Then I repainted it a solid white.  The interior bottom shelf I left gray.  

I lightly sanded all the hinges and hardware, and then spray painted them with Rubbed Oil Bronze.  We reattached the hardware.  Then the Laird attached trim under the top and painted it white to match the cabinet.  


The restoration of this cabinet was a cool project for the Laird and I to work on together as a team.  It looks great in our kitchen, and functions as that much needed extra storage.  I am very glad that it is finally done, and we can move on to other projects.

I learned that chalk paint can turn out very beautiful, but is not my cup of tea.  I love the projects I have seen where others have used chalk paint & wax, but I was not impressed with how it worked out for me.  I will stick with regular solid paints, which turned out pretty similar to my final product, and cost much less that the combination of chalk paint & wax.










No comments:

Post a Comment