Thursday, February 4, 2016

For the Love of Custom Framing

Have you ever had a picture or piece of artwork custom framed?  Anyone who has knows it is quite a pricey process.  When I graduated college I photographed my neighbors giant sunflowers.  This was a time when digital photography was on the rise, but I was still using a film Canon Rebel.  The photo was so sharp that I decided to enlarge it to a poster size.  Due to the large size of the photo, it was difficult to purchase a ready made frame and matte that would fit.  After storing the photo for some time, I finally decided to use that Joann Fabric coupon for 40% or 60% off a custom framing order (can't remember which).  After picking out the perfect frame, 2 mattes and the museum glass, they gave me the total cost.  Even after the discount, the piece cost me over $350!! Though it cost a ton, I used my birthday money and treated myself.  When it was finally finished and hung on my wall, I fell in love with it.  It was pure quality.  There was a definite sense of pride in this piece that I had never experienced with buying ready made frames for my photographs.  I knew I definitely wanted to custom frame more in the future.

That initial custom framing experience was about 10 years ago, and I haven't custom framed another piece since.

On a recent visit home to visit my family, I saw that my mother had finally custom framed a drawing she had done in 1983.  She is truly and amazing artist.  If the cost of custom framing wasn't so much, I am sure she would have done it sooner.  It turned out gorgeous and I fell in love with the whole piece, the frame and triple mattes.  She mentioned that she actually had a few more copies of this particular drawing.  I requested a copy of it for christmas or my birthday sometime in the future.  That request came true this past Fall for my birthday.

FORT KLOCK in St. Johnsville, NY
A friend gave me the idea that I could probably custom frame this piece myself, for a lot cheaper than Joann Fabric or Michaels.  In my internet research I found Pictureframes.com.  It is a great website, as you are able to upload your photo or photo of your artwork, and then try it on with different mattes and frames.  This is a great feature since you cannot see things in person before you purchase.
In my shopping for the perfect frame, I got a little distracted by a great "Distressed Barnwood" frame.  I decided they would be great for photos of lady genevieve and lord Alastair in our great room.  Since the photos were smaller than the Fort Klock drawing, the investment was less and an easier purchase to make.  The Laird just hung them up, and they look great!  So excited!





No comments:

Post a Comment