Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Tree Swing for this little Lady of 4 years

I love making a gift for my kids when it's time to celebrate another year of their life.  It's something special I can work on and express my heart through creativity.  And it's usually something that doesn't cost me much, as I usually can find the materials around my home.  And the hand crafted nature makes it something worth keeping for years and years.  I can't recall if I made anything year one.  Year 2 was a quilted set of Upper and Lowercase alphabet letters.  Year 3 was a princess Elsa dress & a book: The Tale of Two Berries, written by the Laird and illustrated by my mother.  This year it was time to make a big girl tree swing.  I proposed the idea to the Laird and he was on board.  He searched our garage and barn for a piece of scrap wood.  He settled on a left over piece of our 7" red oak flooring.  He glued 2 small pieces of wood on the underside for added support where the ropes would go.  Then he drilled the holes, to fit the 3/4" rope we ordered. The Laird actually had the wonderful idea that I should wood burn the Letter G onto it.  I searched the internet for a decorative G and found a beautiful one.  I think printed it out.  Colored the back side with pencil lead.  Then traced the design onto the wood.  Then it was time to wood burn.  Finally I finished the swing with a coat of polyurethane.  Last weekend, we ventured out back to find a good tree with good branches.  We moved our baby swing to the same tree, so that both kids could enjoy swinging together.


I absolutely LOVE how this swing turned out.  Though the 3/4" rope was a bit thick and difficult to work with (5/8" would have probably been good enough- but the 3/4" cost less), I love the look of it.  It reminds me of a smaller version of the wooden tree swing in the live action Cinderella movie.   It's so romantic, and I feel as though every little girl should have a wooden tree swing with extra thick rope to swing and daydream upon.




Another successful handcrafted gift to speak of.  Lady Genevieve loves it (I think more than the other small gifts we purchased for her birthday)- she's a lady after my own heart.  I love hand crafted/ made gifts more than any other thing anyone could buy for me.

High fives to this laird and lady of Redwoodshire!

2 comments:

  1. This tree swing looks sturdy! We had wood tree swings hanging from a giant walnut tree at my childhood home from treeswingstore.com. Well, I hope there is such a thing that will last forever. If you just take good care of things and give proper handling of it, then it will surely last longer than what is expected of it.

    ReplyDelete