Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Something old & Something new- Dresser update

After 10 years of using white plastic Rubermaid drawers to hold my clothes, I finally own a dresser.  I purchased this dresser set for $150.  The brand is: Link-Taylor




















The dressers are made of solid pine, likely from the 1970's.  The previous owner had them for 30+ years.  The detail across the top reminds me of a castle.  The pulls were outdated, and were in need of replacement.  Though it is not a tough task, there are a few simple steps when updating your dresser or cabinet pulls.

1) REMOVE old knobs or pulls by unscrewing from the inside of the drawer or cabinet door.
2) Set old screws aside (the new screws that come with hardware may not be the best fit)
3) If the old pull has 2 screws/ holes you will need to measure the distance between them.  This measurement is important to have when buying new pulls.  Old pulls often have random & uncommon spaces between screws which limited my choices.
4) Determine if all pulls are the same size-  I assumed all of the pulls on these dressers were the same, only to find that the smaller drawers had slightly smaller pulls.
5) Hardware is not that expensive, but the cost adds up when replacing a dresser set or kitchen cabinets.  I had to purchase 21 pulls!

Lowes & Home Depot have a decent selection of hardware for cabinets and drawers.  I really like the Rubbed Oil Bronze cup pull.  Gives furniture an old farm-style look, which I absolutely love.  So I picked out my 21 cup pulls, purchased them and came home ready to install them on my new/ old dressers.  That is when I discovered there were 2 different sizes!  So disappointed.  What should have been a quick project now was delayed.  Lowes did not have a matching cup pull of the size I needed.  So I considered drilling new holes- what a nightmare that would have been.  The Laird suggested I search the internet.  And I am so glad that I did, before taking the drill to my drawers.

I found the exact size pulls I needed at Knobsandpulls.com.  And they were cheaper than the original pulls I had purchased!






What a simple difference new pulls make!  This outdated dresser is looking better.  There are some minor repairs to make to the drawer tracks, which will be included in a later post....

No comments:

Post a Comment