Monday, July 14, 2014

Lacto-Fermented Garlic-Basil Beans

Tonight I tasted my first lacto-fermented batch of ginger carrots (refer to previous post).  It tasted very strongly of ginger, so if I attempt another batch I will decrease the amount of ginger to 1/3 or 1/4 the original amount.  I had no idea how potent even the smallest amount of fresh ginger root is.  Needless to say, it was a fun first attempt, but definitely not something I liked and want to gobble down.  However, lady genevieve likes it and does not seem to be bothered by the strong ginger taste, so it wasn't a wasted attempt.  I will feed that baby snacks of gingered carrots until that jar runs out or she stops liking it.

Onto the next lacto-fermentation batch: Garlic-Basil Beans (green & yellow wax).  Most recipes I found online were for Dilly Green Beans.  At the moment I do not have dill ready for use, so I decided to go with a garlic & basil combination.  It seems like a nice Italian seasoned snack.  We will see how this combination goes.

Cut & trim ends off fresh green & wax beans.  Then lay 1 quart canning jar horizontal on it's side, as you fill with beans- this keeps them standing straight up and makes it easier to squeeze them in tight.  Then dissolve 2 Tbsp. Sea salt in 3 cups of filtered water.  Pour into jar of beans.  Add 1/2 tsp. minced or fresh garlic.  Add 2 Tbsp. whey (optional).  Add fresh basil leaves to taste- I did about 7 medium size leaves.   Place glass weights on top of beans & basil to keep vegetables submerged under brine.  Fit air lock onto jar and place in a dark cool spot.  The instructions I found, suggested letting it ferment for 24-38 hours and then placing in the door of the refrigerator for a continued slow ferment (since this is the warmest spot in the refrigerator).  This causes the ferment to take longer, but also preserve the beans longer.  That recipe said the beans would be ready to eat in 1-2 weeks.   I think I am going to do a week of room temperature fermenting, and then do a taste test.

No comments:

Post a Comment