Friday, July 4, 2014

Summer Harvest dish: a vegetarian, protein-rich dish

A delicious veggie dish I came up with last summer, continues to be a favorite here at Redwoodshire.  There's really nothing exact about it.  I call it Summer Harvest, because it is a very colorful dish.  Basically, chop veggies to bite size pieces.  I like to use: red pepper, sweet potato, summer squash, kale, red onion, red quinoa, pear or apple chunks & craisins (the red onion is purple-ish).  Saute harder veggies in coconut oil.  Season with adobo or garlic powder and ginger powder.  Add fresh minced garlic toward the end when veggies get soft enough to eat.  Then add pear or apple slices & season with a bit of cinnamon.  Allow juices to coat, and saute until fruit is softened but not mushy.  Meanwhile, boil water and prepare red quinoa according to package instructions.  When finished, add to vegetable medley in frying pan. Throw in a handful of craisins and heat through.  It smells and tastes amazing!

The beautiful thing is that you can make it with as many or as few of the vegetables as you want.  Last night we enjoyed a sweet potato, red onion, kale, quinoa and craisin dish with our fresh brown sugar coated salmon.  

Summer Harvest variation w/ Salmon
Recently I entered into the world of fermentation- I started making my own kefir a little over a month ago.  It's been so easy and delicious.  We've enjoyed lots of Banana-Blueberry Kefir smoothies.  Strawberry kefir ice cream. Vanilla kefir ice cream... and have added kefir to just about anything that has called for milk.  As much as I enjoy drinking & eating our kefir creations, I equally enjoy the process of making it each day- it's like a little lab experiment in my kitchen.  As I started reading and learning more about kefir and the health benefits, I happened across other fermentation information and blogs.  My experience with kefir has been great, so I have ordered some fermentation tools and hope to start a batch of Gingered Carrots as soon as my air lock arrives.  I hope to find some recipes to try out with the harvest of vegetables soon to come- both to culture our bodies and to preserve some of the wonder fruit of the Laird's labors.  This new interest led me to our local library today to pick up the book "Wild Fermentation."  That little trip, and 5 books on nutrition later I am learning some healthful information.  

Did you know?:  We need about 0.35g of protein for every pound we weigh?  So basically divide your weight by 3, and now you know about how many grams of protein you should try to consume in a day.  I did not know this.  Part of the awesomeness of the Summer Harvest dish is how rich in protein is it.  I don't know exactly how many grams of protein are packed into a single serving, however I think it's safe to say that it's protein rich.  And with the quinoa, it contains a complete amino acid profile.  Speaking of protein, Kefir contains about 11g of protein in every cup. 


No comments:

Post a Comment