Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Lacto-Fermented Ginger Carrots

Now that I have Kefir production under my belt and a regular part of our daily life, I have been eager to try some food fermentation.  I found a number of Ginger-Carrot recipes and made that my first attempt at fermentation.  Since my fermenting supplies and kefir grains from Cultures for Health have yet to disappoint, I decided to test out their Lacto-Fermented Ginger Carrot Recipe.

4 cups grated carrots
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger root
1 Tbsp. Sea Salt
4 Tbsp. whey

I grated my large organic carrots, then the ginger root.  Mixed both together and added the Sea Salt.  Then I added 4 Tbsp. of whey that was strained from my kefir.  Mixed them together and squeezed the juices out of the carrots.  I poured entire mixture into a 1 quart Ball canning jar.  Placed 2 glass weights onto the carrot mixture to keep them under the brine.  I added some distilled water to increase the brine level enough to cover the carrots- we will see if this helped or hurt my first fermenting attempt.  Then topped it with a special air lock lid (can be purchased or home-made).  I placed the ferment in a dark cupboard. The recommended ferment time is 5-10 days.

I am currently on day 2.  I am eager to see how it turns out.  The ginger & carrot combination sounds delicious to me.  I haven't ever eaten fermented foods, but I am growing to love the concept and everything I read about the health benefits are solidifying my desire to make fermentation part of my everyday life and diet.  Last week, I picked up the book Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz from our local Library, in order to learn more about fermentation.  In the process, I got sucked into a few other books that peaked my interest.  One in particular, Paleo Manifesto by John Durant has been such an interesting read thus far.  It is a very compelling read, and may very well influence my food choices going forward.  I have learned more nutritional details backed by historical and medical facts, than I have ever known before.

No comments:

Post a Comment