Monday, August 18, 2014

Oh Diaper Sprayer, Where have you been the past year?!


Do you cloth diaper?  Got a Diaper Sprayer?  Make one.

After 16 months in the world of cloth diapers, I finally decided it was time for a diaper sprayer.  I figured that I would just go for the BumGenius brand, since we use BG cloth diapers and I am quite satisfied with them so far.  But due diligence lead me to do a little research about other brands available, and lo and behold, I discovered that diaper sprayers are fairly simple to build yourself, for a bit less than the commercial brands.  This excited me, as I both enjoy learning new things, and take satisfaction in both saving money and building things (that are simple).  There are a bunch of blogs out there that cover DIY Diaper Sprayers, so I am not going to repeat what is already well covered. Gidget Goes Home DIY Diaper Sprayer Tutorial, was simple and filled with step by step photos.  She even has a materials list with a link to each item on Amazon (minus 1 that I was able to get at Lowes).  The links were extremely handy, and I ended up purchasing my parts through Amazon.  I went to Lowes, thinking I could collect all the parts quicker than waiting for them to arrive in the mail.  But couldn't find everything I needed, and was a little overwhelmed with all the different plumbing parts out there.  If you decide to build a diaper sprayer, I highly recommend ordering your parts with the links to amazon.  And amazon is so quick, that I got the parts in less than 48 hours.

The Laird kindly helped me put it all together.  He knows a little bit about how the toilet hooks up and plumbing technique, so I let him do the installation.  He applied a little Thread Sealant on each connection, to create a tight seal and prevent any water leaks.  There are a lot of threaded connections in this Diaper Sprayer, therefore many places for leakage.  So if you have a leaky sprayer, or are building your diaper sprayer for the first time, and don't have a lot of experience with plumbing, definitely get the Thread Sealant.

Though it isn't the prettiest thing, it is much prettier than the scene that happens as I dunk and scrub poopy diapers in the toilet!  I had the opportunity to spray my first poopy diaper this morning, and it was amazing!  I am so grateful to have a diaper sprayer.  Got a Diaper sprayer?


I think the sprayer is powerful enough


The Ice Maker Supply Line connected to main water supply for toilet
with the Adapt-A-Valve T fitting.
The Shut off Valve & adapter between the Ice maker Supply Line (top) and the Spray hose (bottom)





I hung our diaper sprayer up with a white hook on the side of the vanity cabinet.
A diaper sprayer is a must for those using cloth diapers!  Say goodbye to scrubbing poop into the toilet bowl, and hello to your new friendly sprayer.  This project cost about $30.  Commercial diaper sprayers cost between $40-$60.

Gratitude of today: This handy diaper sprayer & the Laird who installed it

No comments:

Post a Comment