Sunday, August 10, 2014

Toddler Renaissance Costume

After finishing a little outfit for lady genevieve for our trip to the Renaissance Festival, I decided she needed a hat to top off her costume.  After a little google image research, I decided to make a simple muffin cap.


This Muffin Cap Pattern worked quite well for me, as I simply adjusted for a toddler size head.  I found a great cream flower embellishment in the ribbon section of the craft store, and beautiful white feather.  I sewed the hat & embellishment with a sewing machine, and attached the feather by hand.  I added a band of elastic inside the hat brim for a snug fit.

I wish I could share a pattern for the dress, however I simply made it up as I went.  It is made out of a bunch of rectangle pieces of fabric, sewn together. Even the straps are separate and attached at the end.  I did not have much luck with grommets on my costume, so I used a rope-like embellishment and sewed loops on the inner- upper dress, to be able to lace the dress in the front.

We happened to get a perfect Carters Onsie shirt handed down to us, and just had to make a ruffled skirt.  I used this Elastic waist skirt tutorial to create a skirt.  I added a wider ruffle to the bottom of skirt to add length and make it show beneath the outer dress, and sewed a sash onto the front of the skirt (that ties in the back) to hide elastic waste band.

The beautiful thing about this costume is that it was made out of the left over scraps from the costume I made for myself 4 years ago.  So we now have matching costumes!  She was quite a hit at the festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment